Monday, July 24, 2006

One of my fave quote from my fave book

The unqualified truth is, that when I loved Estella with the love of a man, I loved her simply because I found her irresistible. Once for all; I knew to my sorrow, often and often, if not always, that I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. Once for all; I loved her none the less because I knew it, and it had no more influence in restraining me, than if I had devoutly believed her to be human perfection.
-Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm........ im personally quite uncomfy with this, though..
With words like "irresistable", and "human perfection"...
I think it is possible to love someone this way, and yet, it is not true love..
And it could be obsession, desperation or self-love. N could result in great dependancy issues?
I can see someone at home who is like that... yet the way of 'loving' does not give the other happiness.
The object of affection may not always be irresistable or perfect to us, yet we would love him/her.
Putting one on the pedestral is not a healthy way of loving someone... and it makes it hard to truly communicate or have a real r/s with the person.
but well, that's the more rational part of it.. this passage speaks of passion and intensity.. n love could not be without passion and some degree of loss of self-control.. :P