Friday, September 01, 2006

Why Donations? How about Sharing?

Met Daphne just now for a while- though it was only an hour, I was glad to meet up with her. She's one of those I really miss after stepping down as a cgl. Yup, but glad that this relationship between us will always continue.

After that went to help out with Pastor Don's charity dinner. A christian lady had felt led to help him organize one, and so it was held at the Arts House (Old Parliament Building) at Viet Lang. I was supposed to be an usher...but I felt pretty awkward standing there cos I didn't know anyone, except Lillian, Pastor Don's wife- Vannessa and some of other Pastor Don's workers. The crowd invited was a group of christian businessmen, and there were about 80 of them that turned up. Some came in their long sleeve shirts and ties! So the mingling about seemed a bit like a networking session and I didn't feel too comfy actually, and a bit self conscious. :(

So anyway the fund raising came in thru the of dinner- was $80 per pax, cost px was lower, a paintings auction, as well as free willed donations- we handed out envelops. The paintings were quite nice, done by a 9 year old girl, who was talented in drawing, but said she wanted to give her part to help the poor. :)

Things were quite awkward for the paintings initially, cos it started off with one of the paintings for $500. And the emcee emphasized that it was for donations, for a good cause, and there was an awkward silence as no one bidded. But subsequently there was one person who raised his hand....And for the other paintings, the emcee had to encourage ple to donate as well. I feel some ple might be getting squermish in their seats. I don't really know.

Actually the thing is, the paintings prob really aren't worth so much. One of them was sold at $2K. I guess it is just a charitable idea to bid for one at that px even when it wasn't worth that much.

I was just wondering at the end when I collected the envelops of donations- why they were called "donations". This is a weird question I guess. But couldn't help thinking, do we have to do so much things for ple to contribute their money? Not just ple but christians! [Note, I told myself not to be judgemental, and I don't know how these christians spend their money/time elsewhere, and this is not to say I am any the better]
And yah.... I think in the ideal state, rich christians shd be sharing! Its not as if we give a few hundred dollars and we feel smug and happy with ourselves. Or we give some of our time to do some community service and we think we have done a lot. We have really done nothing! We have only given God and the poor our spare change! And I am so embarrassed of that sometimes. I think we shd all work towards the ideal state of giving. And yes, Singaporean Christians can definitely afford to live much more simple lives and give more. We shdn't be donating, it should be sharing..it is just doing wat God had called us to do. We shdn't be pitying the poor/marginalised and treating them like the "other", we should be accepting them, and welcoming them into God's family.

No comments: