Thursday, September 14, 2006

What would u do if u lose someone you love tonight?

The question was posed during tonight's counseling class. And we were asked to think about what we would do. Would we be lost? We need to face this question ourselves if we wanted to counsel others.

The metaphor of the fruit cake fitted so well. If u pluck the fruits off the cake, the cake was still a cake. But sometimes, we stuff ourselves with so many things/ people, and we think that if we lose them, our whole world collapses.

How apt.

It is so painful to lose the thing that u dearly love. Perhaps like what Dr. Toke said, it was to go back to remember that we were born naked, and that w/o those other things that we hold dear too, we are still ourselves. And sometimes we try to replace the void with another item. But De Toke asked...

Why does that void have to be filled? Can it just remain as a memory of someone who meant so much to u?

Feeling so melancholic on the way home, but thankful for some music, and this song was played:
Somewhere Out There

written by James Horner, Barry Mann, Cynthia Weil

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight
Someone's thinking of me and loving me tonight

Somewhere out there someone's saying a prayer
That we'll find one another in that big somewhere out there

And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through
Then we'll be together somewhere out there
Out where dreams come true

And even though I know how very far apart we are
It helps to think we might be wishing on the same bright star

And when the night wind starts to sing a lonesome lullaby
It helps to think we're sleeping underneath the same big sky

Somewhere out there if love can see us through
Then we'll be together somewhere out there
Out where dreams come true


It is such an old song but it is truly inspirational isn't it? That love will see us through. This whole concept of love.

What would I do if I lost someone I loved tonight? I will be devastated. It is true someone who hasn't experienced the lost of someone they love will never know what the pain feels like.
On days, it feels like a stab in the heart when memories come flooding in. And "crying yr heart out" really means something.

I began to think also of my sister. We are really close, but these days seems like we got less to talk abt. By the time I get home I am so worn out, and she is also tired and marking her scripts or doing work on the comp. Communication is reduced to a few grunts now and then. Sigh.
U know what, we really gotto treasure those whom we have right now, who matter to us before we regret it. Sounds super cliche but true.

-----

Work has been busy this week. Terrible....just rushing this piece of work and then the next and next and next. :S But u know what...
I am just so workholic that I prefer being busy than being not! When I am idle, my mind starts wandering about. When I am bz...yuuppps..its just work on my plates. ;) At least this part is stabilising a bit. And I prayed the prayer that Willie suggested- pray for open doors elsewhere if this is not the place God wants u to be in. Doors haven't been opening much. If the doors did open I am not sure wat I want. I got to find who I am first-my unique person, before I know what is God's calling for me.

We are doing a Garage Sales in the company to raise funds for Habitat project. ;) Heh. Yeah!! Had someone donate a palm top to me today (wow!) for the garage sales. The team has been wonderfully efficient! Read in the papers that many executives are choosing to do service learning aka overseas volunteer trips instead of going on holidays as they find it much more fulfilling.

Yups. I know I know....more than anything, such projects ultimately bless us the most, and not the ones on the receiving end. We could jolly well raise the money and send it over- they have much cheaper labour costs; instead of wasting money on our air tkts and flying there to build houses when we are hardly skilled with our hands. But I am still embarking on this project for various reasons- the macro one is to see GIC culture change! More charity please. And yups, I am sure everyone on the trip will gain a lot. ;) Short term trips do no good if they are just one -off events. I pray that everyone will gain smthing from it, and come back with a much more appreciative and charitable heart.
U know what..sometimes I go to this mode that no matter how much we do, there is still so much suffering out there. Still so much much much more. Does it matter if I do anything at all? Do I make any difference?
Yet it is smthing that everyone shd play a part in...caring for ple, the lost, poor, hungry, hurting. And it is good in a way to have a disatisfaction in what we are doing, cos that will push us to keep doing more and more. [note: not in the context of works versus grace kinda thing]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think losing someone we love is not something anyone would like to go through, and those who have gone thru the process will hope not to hv to go thru the same thing again.
It is v painful for the person in the midst of it cos the whole world seems to proceed during that time while s/he is stuck there not being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
But it is also part and parcel of life, and I agree that u really need to hv been there to understand. N overcoming it is a process of self-discovery, u come out wiser, stronger and free-er.
I guess it enriches life's experiences...
Some things/pple cannot be replaced, it is naive and irresponsible to think so.
But it is a beginning of better things to come i guess.. tt's a belief we gotta hold on to.

Lois said...

Hey gal,
Thank you! Yup, I think we all learn to say our "goodbyes" to ple!
I know we will see the light at the end of the tunnel. There always is! Even in our valleys, God promises to walk through it with us. :) Aren't we thankful for that!