Sunday, June 04, 2006

New beginnings

I mustered enuff courage today to go for Global Day of Prayer (alone), even tho the whole world was going for Emerge Finale at church. I really wanted to go as how rare would there be an opportunity for christians from different churches to come together to pray at the National Stadium? It also signified unity...and togetherness in seeking God for Singapore's revival!

Had to call up a few frens and finally tagged along with Celia and her cell grp! :) I felt a little weird and out of place among her friends. Its a different culture altogether, but nevertheless was thankful that she was with me.

We broke up into groups to pray, and Celia prayed for me. I was rather ministered by her prayer, as she prayed for me to stop going around in circles, and to know my faith is in God and not in the church. J told me before that I was idolising the church. I was angry with him then, but now I kind of understand what he meant. U see, for a lot of us (in CHC), we are accustomed to think that once we leave this church, we have backslidded or fallen away from God, or that other churches are not comparable. But the thing is, our faith is not built on a church. It is built on God. So one day if the church was no more, we would still believe in God...one day if we have no church to go to, we still believe in God. Our faith must always be in Christ and not in any human being or structure.

I liked the whole session and the feel of it. Even though it wasn't charismatic or loud praying in tongues. And the best part was, the charismatic pastor and the evangelical pastor apologised to each other and washed each others' feet. How I wish there were less bigotry and more love. No matter how many wonderful things we do in the name of faith...dreams we have for God etc., the basics matter.. how we live our lives matter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..I think u r beginning to see the light..!=)

U are right, faith is in God and not in a physical structure. We define "church" as a gathering of faithful believers. The kind of building (whether massive, new, high-tech, etc. or even whether it is filled with people jumping up & down) has never been of great importance.

God's love is for all, and for eternity, independant of who the paster or priest is, who's merely an instrument used by God. And there can be many instruments around.

I believe that CHC has brought out many beautiful traits u have today. U r a testimony, to me, of the genuineness of CHC (which otherwise, honestly, is a little dubious to me). That's why I believe that God does not only exist in one church, He is there whenever genuine love exists. However, CHC would never be the be all and end all in ur Christian faith. Cos ur belief is more than for a church. tt's how i think :)