Thursday, June 22, 2006

Walking with a limp

Was reading a fren's blog this morning, and my heart went out to her. Cos I fully understood the struggles she faced. She mentioned that she struggled with depression, and prob no one knows. Actually, I am often depressed too, tho I am not sure if it is clinical. That's why I can often "counsel" ple who are depressed, and I smtimes think that I shd become a counselor! Going thru depression is never easy ofcos, and on the exterior, ple think that u are happy, joyful etc. My colleagues say that I am always smiling, pleasant. My boss says that I am jovial. So am I really happy?
These few weeks/months I've not been happy to be honest, and on some days I even feel like I'm in the abyss of darkness, and I wish I could be with Christ now...And then I won't have so many questions anymore. And I can just come face to face with God and talk to Him. And everyday I carry a burden of some sort. I pray to God that He will take away this "thorn in the flesh", but like His answer to Paul- My grace is sufficient for you, and my stength is made perfect in weakness. The theology of weakness- very well expounded by Marva Dawn.
I quote:
"Even as Christ accomplished atonement for us by suffering and death, so the Lord accomplishes witness to the world through our weakness. In fact, God has more need of our weakness than of our strength. Just as powers overstep their bounds and become gods, so our power becomes a rival to God. As the Psalms and Isaiah teach us, God's way is not to take us out of tribulations, but to comfort us in the midst of them and to "exchange" our stength in the face of them. By our union with Christ in the power of the Spirit in our weaknesses, we display God's glory."

Ofcos, the devil always wants us to feel weak and defeated, then we can never do anything for Christ. So there is a balance. Not that we dwell on our weaknesses and live defeated lives. Rather, we recognize that we are weak, and we can do NOTHING for Christ. It was never about us. But it is God's power in us. And then we are strong.

U know..going thru this period of chastening is not easy. But I truly understand and learn to rely on Christ. And finally, with the comfort that He comforts us with, we are able to comfort others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey... b strong.. it'll take time but u will pull thru... believe me!

thinking of lending u e book i mentioned b4 tt has helped mi in my journey..

"I wish I could be with Christ now..."
tt's not a bad end at all but im sure you know there are many things u want to do. think of some others whose lives are robbed from them prematurely cos of sicknesses or disasters.
remember u r not alone in this... dont give up!
:)