Saturday, June 17, 2006

Da Chang Jing

I watched Da Chang Jing today and was moved to tears by one of the episodes. Yes!! I'm also into Korean drama! I try to catch that show on TV sometimes at night.. The episode I watched today spoke a lot to me. In the scene, ChangJing (a medical lady) was taking care of the beggars' children who were down with small pox. She wasn't afraid of contracting the disease, but hugged the crying children who were dirty and grubby looking. While the ple in the palace shunned the beggars, she cared for them and suffered with them. In spite of how ple misunderstood her intentions, spoke badly of her, interpreted her wrongly, she hung on to her principles. The emperor wanted to make her the chief medical doctor, but the other officials vehemently rejected the idea of her becoming the chief medical doctor.
This other general Min, also inspired me. He spoke up for Chang Jing and stood up for the truth. He came to have disagreements with his superior. And this superior was someone whom he had fought together and strategised together with, to eliminate the crooks in the palace. And now this superior was reprimanding him, telling him that women shd never have any ranks in the palace..it was unheard of, and shdn't be done in that manner. General Min said that it was abt HR, that suitable women shd be promoted if they were suitable for the position. And that wasn't his superior attitude towards women similar to the way ple undermined others from lower castes? Why the double standards? Superior said...that was the way historically it has been.
So much of wat has been..wat everybody thinks is the right way to go. But sometimes we have to stand up for the TRUTH and be willing to face conflicts. Conflicts are essential. U noe...on the table was General Min and about 5 other officers who opposed his view. How horrible can it feel to have the whole world think that u are wrong? But r u convicted enuff by the truth to know that u have to stand up for it?
I'm sure General Min felt a lot for his superior. A man whom he respected and submitted to. How shd he respond in the light of the truth vs respect, being comfortable vs the deep sense of injustice on the inside?
I must be a person who fears God more than men! I must not be afraid of conflict! Come on, be brave! I must and will go through this time of fiery trial.

The difference in living standards between the palace and the village was stark. Two kids are down with small pox. The empress's son and a beggar's son. Empress's son has 1 medical doctor and 4 medical ladies tending to him. Beggar's son only has Chang Jing hugging him to sleep, and sharing Chang Jing with many other patients. Empress's son sleeps on silk bed sheets, beggar's son is in a shabby old hut with about 6 other children down with small pox.

In the same way our society today. I see in my company hundreds of pieces of paper/paper cups being wasted everyday. We have resources and finances. We have our big bonuses. But the VWOs are struggling to make their ends meet. And I must be hypocritical to say that...cos I am...one of those who received the bonuses? But money must be channeled. The rich must not just hoard the money, they must channel it to the poor. Then there would be balance and equality. Its impt that the private sector and the social sector MUST meet.
Everyday I pray that I may use my money wisely, on things that I need. I must live a lifestyle that proclaims Christ's love.

I pray that I may have the courage to stand up for truth, tho its gonna be a lonely road ahead.

----

Went to KTV with some colleagues yesterday. Yah yah, after all the talk on using money wisely, I go for KTV! :S ha...but I sourced for the cheapest one available...and so it was not so bad. And really enjoyed ourselves in that span of 3 hrs. Realise that we can really connect well, and we have similar tastes in songs. :> The HR policy must be really good...to fit us together in this place. heh. Well..it was fun...and we yelled through some of the songs, and waved our hands in the air. I love my colleagues..they are like family to me. My dearest sisters. I pray that one day they may come to know Christ too.

---
Met P during lunch time on thursday. P is someone I really respect...as I've said before I think. He was the chair in VCF back then. Anyway I feel that P is someone who has a r/s with God..a very personal, individual one...He tells me that if we are really hungry, no matter how bad the sermon is, one small little truth can feed him. (hope I haven't misquoted him). Same as me, he is going thru a lot of thinking abt wat it really means to be a christian in the mkt place. Mkt place needs- ple are insecure, always feel they don't have enough money, need to work extremely hard. Which I agree. And to add on to that, ple in the mkt place...are sometimes lonely, lost and smtimes directionless. All of us are like kids stuck inside an adult body. Tho we try to hide those really well. Anyway, his boss said that he wanted to make him fast track in his law firm, but he gotto be more driven (definition= staying back later in the office). But P, tries to leave office at 6ish, 7 everyday and be efficient with his work. And he says that he will live out a different set of values from the world. Cos being "driven" by success and money...is not him.

I guess we will never figure out everything right. But we must...at different points in our lives, choose what is right and true...and God will direct us, every step. That requires a lot of faith and trust in Him. :>

No comments: