Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The cat

I saw a cat just now at the overhead bridge, while waiting for my parents car to pick me up for dinner. It was a grey, slightly rounded cat with beautiful green eyes. The moment I came down from the overhead bridge, it started to purr at me. It was so cute. When I reached the bottom, it curled itself into a ball, and then laid itself flat on the floor, stomach up, and paws facing upwards. It stayed in that position for a few seconds, and then it went back to its feet again, walked a few rounds and again stretched itself up on the floor.
I bent down to touch it, but the moment I did that, my action probably came too fast and it lept back onto its feet and moved slightly backwards, but its eyes staring at me. I stood up straight again, and again, it went back into its position with its stomach up. I wanted so much to tickle its fat furry white stomach but it went on its standing position again in a few seconds. But make no mistake from the look in its eyes, it wanted to be loved and patted. Yet, it was a timid little cat.
We stood there and stared at each other for some time, and I meowed at it. It meowed back. And slowly I bent my knees and stooped next to it for a while. Before long, it came around my feet and started stroking its body on my knees and legs and went round and round, its cute little head poking at my leg first and then again and again. As I reached out my hand to touch its stomach, it shrinked back again.
What a cute little cat. But I know in a while's time, my parents car would come, and I couldn't stay long there. It was, afterall, a short moment with my new little friend, and I couldn't let it get so attached to me. It will be sad...if it did. And I knew it. So I stepped away a bit and watched it walk abt and lie on its stomach again and again and looking at me with its big green eyes.
The car finally came, and as I walked towards the car, I took a look at it again, it was staring at me..as I got into the car, it continued to look at me.
Good bye dear cat. Though I only knew u for a few minutes, I enjoyed yr company. Cats, like humans, have emotional attachments. But life is like that, we all got to say our goodbyes some days. I hope the cat finds someone who will love it and cherish it. Cos its such a cute little cat. Timid. And probably hurt by other humans before..hence apprehensive. Wanting to be loved, yet it dare not fully love. Cos it had been hurt before.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. one of your best pieces of writing ever, i think.

perhaps it's all the more poignant cos i know what u r going thru now.. *Hugs

Lois said...

hi gal, this reminds me of PC days! Glad u can appreciate this piece. Thanks for everything. :) Hugs back.
(Haha, btw, what u mean by my best piece ever? Previous pieces not good meh?)

Anonymous said...

Ha.. this is different from your previous posts what..
kinda like a story/poetic prose, with hidden meanings behind it..

=7

Kristin said...

hi xiaojia! =)

Kris

Lois said...

hey kristin! :)Good to have u dropping by!