Sunday, May 07, 2006

Thankful :)

I'm back from my trip! I think this will be a long post as I've so much to write.

Well, most of all, as u can see from the title of this blog, I am really thankful! Thank God for bringing us back home safely, protecting us, allowing me to go for the trip and for broadening my perspectives. :)

There were 4 of us in this trip, Me, Guorong, Jessica and Grace. Everyday we went to the bible school to teach a group of 20 students. A day went like this- we reached there around 845am, and school started at 9am, after that we had games, praise and worship and bible studies. Lunch break, then games, praise and worship and bible studies, and we end around 530pm. We also broke them up into groups for discussions. Then we took turns to lead games, and praise and worship and each took a group for discussions. Guorong-who is a CGL in the chinese church, gave all the bible studies except one, which Jessica gave. We had a lot of fun...they are really funny ple! Heh..we did all the P&W and games in chinese, so it was challenging, but slowly we got used to it!

We went to a bible school where the students were aged from 16-24 years old. They were undergoing bible school for 1 year, and after that they will be dispersed to various parts of the country to be full-time missionaries/evangelists or to serve at the churches. Some of them only have education up to secondary school or even primary school! And they felt God's call to come and serve full time. Some of them have christian parents who also serve actively in church,and they sent their children here for studying and training. The bible school is a stay-in place, means they are not allowed to loiter outside w/o permission. Having been to this country quite a few times, I was surprised that their thinking was totally different from the "world" they lived in. Chinese I know placed great importance on studies, rising up and position. But without even finishing their education, at such a young age, they dedicated their life to serve God! Though I must say it can be a bit challenging when they are not exposed to the world, and study under a sheltered environment. Yet it reminded me a lot of Peter etc who were fishermen and called by Jesus, gave up their livelihood to follow Him. So its not abt our education or how wonderful we are, but God empowered and gave wisdom, even to the founders of the church who were not highly educated (pri or sec sch only).

They were so warm towards us and they cooked for us everyday. There were all sorts of meat from rabbit meat to donkey meat to...erm... Worms (in chinese "can3"). They also brought us to restaurants for a few meals. And when we couldn't finish, they da bao the food in bags to bring back. Was really glad. What can I say? I felt strange being treated cos they refused to let us treat them, but then we were the ones who were more well off! They were so hospitable and happy we were there!Reminded me a lot of the Acts church of sharing..where none had things that were their own. They lived such humble lives. And there was this Brother who fetched us from the airport who was a taxi driver, who shared it was hard in his profession, but yet he spent so much time of the day ferrying us about. The trip from the airport to that place was already 2 hrs...to and fro would be 4 hrs, and every week our church sent a team there...and then he had to pay road tax. I really wonder where they got the money from to buy all the food...including coca cola, almond milk, ice cream, fruits and packets of their local produce to bring back. God provides! =>
It reminded me of the church in Macedonia, that they gave beyond their ability and gave willingly freely (1 Cor 8:1-4)

There were also lots of sharings of miracles, e.g. a girl shared with me when she was 6 years old, her family was praying and then suddenly they all started speaking in tongues and received the baptism of the Holy Spirit! Then also stories of healing and of God's provision. God must love this land a lot. Not only that, the ple in their simplicity of hearts were also hungry and willing. =>

This made me thank God even more. Cos it reminded me of His sovereignity. His plan for redemption, the desire for all to be saved! Many were added to the church just like in Acts where miracles abounded. I pray for revival to come to this place!

Besides being encouraged by the church there, God also spoke to me with regards to my own life. I was reminded of this verse in Hebrews4:16, Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. It encouraged me a lot and took away this shame that made me feel unworthy. Even as we were going to minister to the ple, immed I reminded myself of this word, and that gave me boldness to minister in His authority. We laid hands on the ple etc, and I felt the power and anointing. Ple were slain, got delivered and weeped. It was a powerful verse just right for me at this time in my life. And even as the bible studies were on the Holy Spirit, it reminded me of the impt of building up my spirit man, for it is in that I can have a zoe life, full of energy to serve Him!

There was also pride that God had to deal with. I hoped to lead worship or to preach. But then I can't really preach in chinese, and then I was thinking hmm.. I wanna lead, let me lead! But then God checked me for my pride. That worship and preaching was meant to glorify Him, and not for my own purposes. So it doesn't matter who did it, wat matters more is submission. And hence with that humble attitude, I began to realise that it was not abt myself budging myself to lead etc, but waiting was obedience to Him. In the same way, I am not sure where I will go to serve etc after this, but its not just abt focusing on the need, and what I wanted to do. Whatever I desired must go in accordance to God's timing and God's plan.

Lastly, I was also reminded that Christ was the head of the church. No matter what imperfections, God in His sovereignity will still make His will be done. The grouse that I have for the churches in developed countries is that we are not as sympathetic towards the poor and many christians are full, contented but SELF contented. Hence we hoard up our riches and pray for blessings for ourselves. U know what..the ple there have to go church secretly! And they are definitely not as well off, but they are so hungry. Anyway they were so blessed by our bible studies. I must admit our materials on the Holy Spirit are really quite good, and a lot of churches that miss out on that miss out on the empowering that our Helper provided for our christian lives. =) Yup, so I'm really glad that the materials help them. And in a way their lack was supplied by our abundance.

Juan...a girl I prayed for, cried and told me she was sad cos everyone "heard" from God or saw visions except her. I told her that our faith in Christ is not like that. Its not about how we feel. Neither is it she focuses on hearing something or seeing something, cos that will distract her from focusing on God. I think thats a problem...this competitive spirit even in the Kingdom of God...telling ourselves we will do GREAT things for Him, and if our focus is not right it can be of the flesh. But anyway I was glad to be able to encourage her. I like her a lot, and when we left, she hugged me and cried on my shoulders. Yups...And then I was really happy to meet her need.

When I saw some of them cry during worship, something jumped within me..this heart of compassion. And He asked..if I were to minister to these ple was I willing? And I prayed to God, cos I do not want to do GREAT things for Him, I just want to be obedient and if I may just minister one on one to these ple..the marginalised, disadvantaged, hurting, ple who are hard to understand, and I asked for the grace to do that. I know that I will do that. And He is moulding me toward that. :)

No comments: