Saturday, May 27, 2006

For God searches the hearts

I had a good service today. Really liked the message today about being an influence in society thru the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.
Divine empowerment is based upon my acceptance of responsibility for what God has called me to do.
I think thats really true, that many times when we accept responsibility, whether it is in our work place, schools, or even towards the ones we love- that is also when we are given authority, and we gotto trust God to empower us. I really want to be an influence in my society! May I truly be the salt and light.

Went food fair at expo today with Chin, Joel, Alan and Mel. It was quite crowded. And we ate some food standing around. So it was quite good, and brought back many pleasant memories. Went back with Chin on MRT and bus, and told him I was changing to adult cg soon. And he looked sad (I think). haha..and said he will call me often anyway. That made me feel happy. ERM. I know this sounds dumb. :) But I anyway I will really miss the mbrs...everyone of them so much. And I always feel like I've 3 sons (chin, ey and alan) who are the 3 closest to me. Youths...I really love youths. Its an age whereby we are mouldable..our thoughts are shaped..and..such a fun time...schooling, having frens...less responsibility etc etc. Ha..I wish I were a youth all over again. But hanging out with youths...is really good, feel like I can impart smthing to them, that I've gone thru before.

I was reading the bible yesterday, and these verses spoke to me:
All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the spirits. Prov 16:2
Another verse says it better:
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, But the Lord weighs the hearts. Prov 21:2

So in the name of God we can be doing many wonderful things, preaching, casting out demons, praying for ple, reaching out etc. But God looks at our hearts and our spirits.
Many different christian denominations have their own version of the gospel. We choose to focus on certain things, sometimes we miss out certain things. We all have our fixed mindsets of what pleases God and what doesn't. We have our set of "rituals", to-dos and what not to dos. And this sets the culture and visions of our churches.
But God looks at the hearts, and weighs our intentions.

If u ask me, I think we have things we can learn from the catholics and Presbyterians. Or the traditionals. Some of the traditionals expound the bible word by word and go thru the context etc which is really good. Sometimes charismatics tend to pick verses and quote them out of context. Seriously..
But as charismatics, the emphasis on the Holy Spirit is also good, cos it empowers us as christians to live out our christian lives. As He dwells within us. And so u have those terms like "on-fire", spirit filled and all that...and charismatics are enthu in their christian walk. Then we can't make sweeping statements and wipe out the whole tradition of christianity. It evolved from the catholic church.
So what I mean is, I think we need to be more tolerant and loving toward the body of Christ and not be so judgemental.
I was chatting with this colleague (Presbyterians church) last week and he cracked a joke that charismatics foamed in their mouths when they prayed. I was rather offended, tho he meant it as a joke. Well, there were also times when pastors from charismatic churches say that traditional churches are dead and dry, or feel that their church is the best. I think that God is sovereign in His ways to weigh our hearts.
So what I am trying to say is, we may do things that are right in our own eyes, and others may be doing things that are wrong in our eyes, but let God be the judge. Bitterness & cynicism can be like poison that grows within our hearts.

6 comments:

ۍupernaturaL яoץ said...

Pastor Tan's message was indeed impacting, teaching us how God will set us up to take responsibilites and eventually empowering us with the Holy Spirit to shine in the lives of the unbelievers pointing them to Jesus Christ.

I don't even know if it's a sad or a happy thing for you to change a cell group because it seems like the main reason of change is not for yourself. It is already evident that your members will miss you tremendeously. You might have only spoken to ey and chin about your change but I strongly believe in my heart everyone will miss you being around, this cg started with you and without you it just seems like it's out of place.

But no matter what let it be the will of God. This is a time in our lives that we must accept the responsibilites that God has placed in our hands. Apart from just complaning, we should step up to the play and make that difference.

Many great men and women of God went though much tribulation in their early Christian days before they were launched out into their primary ministry. You are probably the next Kathryn Khulman in the making. :D

Lois said...

Roy, thank you for your encouraging message. :) I think at the end of everyone's ministry, they just want to know that they made a difference in someone's life, and that it was all worth it. U have also been a blessing in yr mbrs lives too. U are right, lets stop complaining and take up our responsibilities. Knowing that it is not man we serve but God. => We will still see each other as I will bug u for car rides. haha..just joking. Its really divine to all begin with a car ride at first to leaders meeting and then talking more and then CG multiplication and then same CG, and yup...am always glad for a fren who knows what I am going thru. :)

Anonymous said...

True... :)

Thanks for your compliment on the Catholic church..heheh.. But anyway, did you know that we are charismatic as well?..
(my youth grp does that during every pnw, etc)

And we believe in prophesies.

We have courses teaching us to decipher real prophesies from unreal ones, and how to tell if someone is really speaking in tongues(aka spirit-filled).

Increasingly, the more I learn about my faith, the more parallels I see with yours. It is fundamentally the same (or should be) though some practices are different.

Maybe the Catholic church needs to 'repackage' itself. But it is only the packaging that would differ. There are some onz Catholic youths as well (i.e. those I hang around with).
Traditions are nice sometimes, in the way that "I love you"s will always sound nice the way they are. The Catholic mass is a means of connecting with and giving thanks to God, and it has remained in its simplest, truest form.

Heheh, enough said.
Anyway, Im sure u had been a treasure to your cg :)
Why are u changing to 'adult cg'? How old are the people there?
Frenships will remain... but u can look forward to meeting more pple who can understand ur current joys and struggles better. :)
Hope u r well!

Lois said...

harlo...
heh..no i din know yr catholic grp was charismatic. :) thanks for sharing..ahah. Anyway, can tell u are doing well and happy yah. Glad to see that. Hope u had a good trip at HK! Going to adult cos I'm old! sob sob. No lar, the real reason is time to move on. And its strange to remain in the same cg after I've stepped down. And time for the youths in the cg to arise!

Anonymous said...

"Anyway, can tell u are doing well and happy yah. Glad to see that."
Heh.. was esp happy that moment when I was typing the comment partly cos I jus received a confirmation letter n pay rise (slight one). Makes me feel all the hard work, struggles, pain n tears had been worthwhile in some way..:)

HK trip was pretty good.. will let you all know abt it.

Whether im truly happy or not, I only just discovered yesterday night. Sometimes when u are numbed to ur emotions, u cant tell if u are happy or sad. But generally, yes, Im glad for the people in my life now. Or I can convince myself that these few pple in my narrow world are enough. But one's leaving soon....:/.

Isn't it sometimes u gotta feel truly sad to let ur emotions go?

Know u are going through a tough period now. It might feel like a devastating n hopeless down patch in one's life when it's quite difficult to see the light no matter how hard u feel u are trying to. It takes time to heal, and a miracle to want to be healed.

U r quite unlike ur normal self now la... but u will pull thru if u have faith that u will...:) Might discover many more worthwhile things that do not cause pain. Uve got good frens... n can call me up/out anytime too..:)

Allow urself time n opportunity to heal loh..:) hugs.
But dont feel embarrassed or sorry abt being down, or let others make u feel so. It is nvr what others think that matters.

Lois said...

hello thanks for yr encouragement! I am going thru a tough time now..yups and not myself..cos usually I am in control abt things, and now I feel totally dependent on God..but closer to Him, perhaps, than ever before, and know Him better. I think that we all come out of trials stronger and better people. Look u have become more secure and independent! And I'm proud of you! ;)