Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Who is Jesus?

I've been trying to answer that question throughout the past 2 weeks or so. One of the triggers was a cell group meeting, we were studying inductive bible study methods, and we used John 4 as the text. Part of it was to come up with outlines by breaking up the verses, the next part was to ask questions about the text. One of the cg members asked "Who is Jesus?" My immediate reaction was a laugh- what a question! Jesus is son of God...Jesus is the messiah, the Christ and so on and so on...until the question went down from the brain and slowly I digested the profound meaning behind it..

Gab said, the questions we asked reflected our r/s with God. How true....and as I began to ponder on that, I remembered something that C said to me...that who Jesus was to me, affected my r/s with him and loads of other things. I started reading those words in the bible in red more carefully (Words that Jesus spoke were in red), and ....I realised who was the Jesus I knew...

He was a righteous God, He was the messiah, He was the healer, He carried an air of authority with Him...thats what I knew of Him.

But really...I always thought that Jesus was not very polite.....and sometimes too straightforward...sometimes maybe.....underneath, I wondered if this Jesus cared....

I re-read the red words with new perspectives, and suddenly, I also saw the Jesus who was kind, the Jesus who was loving....and the Jesus who loved the marginalised.

I see Him with new light.

He is the source of living water...He is sensitive to our needs, and He meets us at where we are. This is the wonderful saviour.

I used to think that Jesus takes things that we like....I used to think that it was painful....

And now I realise that this Jesus, takes things out of our life, to give us even better things...

This is the Jesus I serve. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jac:
The long-overdue comment =P

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who found Jesus' manner occasionally rather direct and abrasive. There were times I felt his tone was rather stern, to the point I did think I had to 'prove' myself worthy to be loved by Him. But I now know that nothing I do will make me worthy; He already loves me as I am, despite who I am.

Would also like to share a discovery I made this Easter. Not sure if you're aware of the Stations of the Cross, where we retell the individual events Jesus went through on his way to Calvary (eg he was condemned, he fell the first time etc).

Anyway I always kind of dread attending this. This year I realised it's because I find it disturbing to hear Jesus being portrayed as so fearful, so weak, so vulnerable, so... human. Not at all like the glorious, almighty Saviour we know.

Yet this battered human being is Jesus too. It is precisely because he is just as human as us, that He can save us and be here for us...

So I gave thanks, for such a realisation. I'm still thinking through it. Thanks for being with me this past week ^^