Monday, April 23, 2007

A mother

Have been reading John & Stasi Elderedge's Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman's Soul. One portion is on Mothers. So just a short ode to my mother.

"I have heard it said that having a child is like having your heart walk around outside of your body. How a mother aches to protect her child. And yet all the while, from infancy to adulthood, a good mother is training her child to move ever more away from her, to need her less and less. Mothers love and long for their children. Their hearts ache for them, over them...

In those eyes, I saw the depth of my mother's love for me. It was measureless, vast, unconditional, tender, deep, strong, joyful and clear. You could dive into eyes like that; get lost in that kind of love. Or be found.

Finally I understood. My mother loved me. She had loved me during those years; I just hadn't seen it. There was grace in her eyes and a knowing that all was well, that all would be well."

Unknowingly, a mother loves her children more than any friend would.

No comments: