Thursday, December 14, 2006

Taguig City



Day 1
We reached Manila around 12pm, and faced our first "test" when we went through the customs, for the officer wanted to charge us taxes for the soft toys that we were bringing into the place. Ran out with CT to find Connie from Habitat so that she could come in with us to explain to the customs officer that those toys were for the ophanage. That was when I first met Jay, the Finance Director of Habitat Philippines, a friendly tall man whose house we were going to stay for the next few days. The officers refused to let him into the airport, but while waiting for Jay to come, the custom officers got tired and let our team go through anyway.

We had our first taste of Jollibee (aka Philippines version of MacDonalds/ KFC). Brought it back to our home in Paranaque City, where we were to stay for the next 6 days. Jay had refurnished 3 rooms with double decker beds. 4 of us stayed in one room with an attached bathroom. We had our orientation briefing at the house.


At ard 5pm, we set out to the SM Mall for some shopping and dinner. We took the jeepney- which is basically a US military vehicle that has been converted. The jeepneys in Manila are quite creatively decorated. :)




Didn't really like SM Mall as it resembled too much a shopping centre in Singapore's neighbourhood. Anyway we had quick bites here and there at the mall.

Day 2
At 730am, we made our way to the work site. We were to help in the construction of a block of housing that was 3 storey high, and each floor had 4 units of housing. These houses were built for the surrounding people who stayed in make shift houses now.


We had a short briefing from Edmund- the 23 year old engineer for the whole project. He has just finished his studies and was a volunteer for this project.
We formed a human chain to pass bricks. Was tough job manz....my arms almost broke. heh...;P And we self declared our own break. After lunch, we did glouting instead, which was to pour cement into the bricks to fill up the holes. This was a much easier and therapeutic task.

Dinner was at Market Market, a nice mall with lots of local food. I took a photo with Ving, our HFH coordinator.




Day 3
We visited the dumpsite @ Payatas and Salt Foundation. There was a stench at that area. Saw ple scavanging around the dump site ( a mountain of rubbish) for materials that they could pick up for sale. Visited a family and talked to a beneficiary of Salt Foundation. Saw many little kids running pass and in particular, one girl who looked barely 5 was craddling her sister who was a few mths old. What an incredible burden for a little girl like her.

Salt foundation was started by some Japanese. It mainly provides educational sponsorhips to children in that area as it believes that education is the way out of the slums. Most of the sponsors are from Japan. It also provides tuition to the kids in that area and teaches the women-folk how to do cross stitch as an alternative income source.

Just a few thoughts.. Ving said that some of the people there just did not want to move out of the dumpsite as they felt they could get a higher income versus getting a job outside. But I also wonder what sort of opportunities they have outside. At least here they have their community to fall back together. In a separate conversation, I asked Edmund (engineer) what he felt abt these people. He said some of them were just lazy, because his parents were also very poor people, but they worked very hard and managed to bring him and his siblings thru education. He doesn't believe he needs help from the government.



I believe if the government closes down the dump site, they must provide alternative income sources and retraining for the people there. Not only that, the people's mindset need to be renewed. Otherwise, they will just move on to other dumpsites in the city.

Had another half day of working at the site. We did sifting as well.

We went to Makati for dinner. There I was surprised to see how beautiful it was. It was even nicer than Singapore. Everyone was dressed up there. There were lots of pubs, restaurants and cafes there. It is such a big gap between this and the slums. : ( It reminded me a bit of Singapore. A few quick thoughts ran through my mind. While we are visiting our restaurants and cafes at orchard road or esplanade, there are the Singaporeans in the singaporean slums left behind. Who cares two hoots about them anyway? Do the richer philippinos care about those in the slums in Payatas? Makes me wonder also why we Singaporeans are going there to help whereas fellow philippinos can't be bothered? Also the thing about us building in the city instead of the rural areas....the city is where the income gap is the biggest.

After dinner at a chinese food joint (food was not exp and good), we walked ard looking for a pub with a live band. Drove out instead to another area where we settled into Strums. We had some beers and alcohol there and listened to the band which was pretty good. It was fun hanging out with the group. But part of me couldn't let my hair down, reminded of what we saw this morning.

Day 4
We did a city tour today in the rain.
At night as the rain fell, colleague said that typhoon hit again those areas at Philippines. It rained so heavily at our place too. I sent out text messages for prayers. Felt quite sad. Mixed feelings within me. Happy that the team was bonding together so well, but rather upset about the deaths and displacements of homes. Wonder what I am supposed to do?

Day 5
Build time was cancelled as rain was too heavy. :( And muddy fields was dangerous. So instead we went back to Market Market and did some shopping. In the afternoon, we went to the orphanage for street kids & abused kids. Some of them were quite attention seeking, some were reserved and reticent. I had fun playing with them and dancing with them. But time passed and we were to leave. Some of them shouted, pls come back tmr!!! During reflection, I told the team that there were many orphanages in Singapore as well, yups.....so when we are back, we can also volunteer at those. Shared about my experiences with the marginalised youths in Singapore and how they behaved in similar ways as those in Philippines. Insecure, reserved, but needing lots of care and concern.


Jay cooked Paella for us to eat tonight. It was quite yummy. And yup....I miss the taste of Paella.

Day 6
We did building today! HURRAH sun came out and smiled on us brightly. We had farewell program with the home owners ard 3 plus to 5ish. Btw, the interesting thing abt Habitat is that home owners gotto build their houses alongside volunteers. Which makes it unique. ;) Wished I had more time and interaction with them though. I could only remember Deanna. She held my hand and said thank you! Thank you! And smiled at me...she hugged me and gave me a kiss on my cheeks. Gave them my address and asked them to write to me.

Went to Bay Walk at night @ Manila City. Nice pubs/restuarants, next to the river. Edmund and Ving came along too!

Very mixed feelings about the whole trip. But it was good trip for me overall. Thought through many stuffs as well. I feel happy and ready to move on to 2007. I know there are lots more ahead for me. As long as the passion and compassion remains within me. But not just within me. But through Christ. To love them like Christ. Oh Lord, fill me with yr endless compassion...fill me with yr wisdom and anoint me with yr words. Very thankful for the verses in Isaiah....God has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. I kept asking myself, what is the good news for the poor that God wants to convey? I don't really know how to pray for them. Sometimes words fail me. Does anyone care? That's why the casting crown song makes so much sense to me. To hold their hand and to love them like Jesus- to carry them to Him- His burden is light.

Day 7
We left Philippines.
Sat along the window and watched the plane take flight. The clouds looked like cotton candy. The endless fields and seas looked minute up there. I wondered if that is how God saw us. Everything under the sun in His control. He gets the big picture. He knows what's going on.

No comments: