Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Onions

Onions have many layers, just like people. People who seem to have it altogther on the surface, yet if we care to know people better, the layers slowly peal off and reveal insecurity, loneliness and vulnerability at the core.
I confess that I feel intimidated when I meet people who are confident & happy. I'm afraid to relate on a closer level, because, what if they peal off my layers and discover my fears?
But yet, it is with this willingness to be vulnerable to others, that we discover what is on the inside. The soul is a treasure in a broken vessel. And how joyful it is, to connect with others stripped off our pretence and strong front that we put up.
More often than not, we don't just discover others, we discover ourselves.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoyed the cell group meeting yesterday. I was so so blessed by the testimony shared by the 2 brothers. Never knew their background, because of how they always seem to have a strong front and never shared much about their problems. A good time for me to take a step back and realise that my problems are not as overwhelming afterall, cos they are universal problems that everyone faces. And I've grown in this process I guess, to learn to grit my teeth and move on, instead of wallowing in self pity.

Had lunch with Clare, my colleague in GIC, and christian fellowship mate. Was very blessed by the discussion that we had on simplicity and finances. I'm glad to have a friend like her who challenges my thinking and helps me to think from alternative points of view. :)
Once again starting to enjoy fellowship, and learning what community living means. Such a joy to share lives with each other, and God has put us together so that we may encourage one another. I'm glad that as I leaned towards being judgemental, that God has been good enough to pull me back to the other side and see from a different perspective, aka, to look beyond the onion layers into the core. And to release love instead, and trust that He is the one who is ultimately in-charged to work within the lives of others.

No comments: