Saturday, August 05, 2006

Objectivity & Opinions

Contemplated whether to post my religious posts on my other blog, but I think this post is also mingled with personal life, so shall post it here anyway. :)

Just went for FOP, and was really blessed by a song that Don Moen led us in. But I can't find the lyrics. :( The lyrics was something like God never sleeps or slumbers, and is never tired of our prayers. And was really touched, cos I imagine myself praying the same prayers, for the same people everyday. But yet God is never tired of listening to me. :)

In a way preferred Don Moen's songs to CCC's songs, cos I find CCC's songs too loud, and smtimes distracting. And also feel the lyrics are not as meaningful. And then some of the beats are really strange and hard to follow.
Speaking of music, I was surprised that day when I was talking to a brother. He remarked that he was so encouraged to see people "really" worshipping God at the Global Day of Prayer, and he said that it was "true" worship. And then he mentioned how he came for FOP last year, and felt that although there were many people, the worship Delirious led was like a human performance. Hmm..I quite enjoyed the worships sessions with Delirious and the jumping was also very nice. Felt so freed up to worship God.

I guess in a sense then, I can imagine a youth who likes the loud rock christian music say that Don Moen's songs aren't very worshipful, are too slow or smthing.
For me, I never liked rock music, as in secular ones. And I like slow songs..or even soft rock, and melodious ones. I can name for e.g. Corrine May.

Okay. Yup, so our personal tastes will affect our judgement of things. Which is what I am trying to get at, btw...if u haven't got it. :)
Its smething related also to what my lecturer said, on how our perspectives will affect how we feel abt a thing. So the same 2 ple can be at FOP and thinking abt diff things abt the worship/sermons etc, cos we have diff perspectives ya?

And to add on to that...some stuffs I say can be pretty neutral:
CCC's songs are loud [objectively, can put to decibel test]

But here are some stuffs that can branch out from there:

CCC's songs are loud--> they are noisy--> they are distracting--> youths who are jumping up and down and just being emotional, and not truly worshipping God.

See, now, I've chain linked the first objective observation into an opinion. Which can be pretty biased.

CCC's songs are loud--> they are really happening-->it is praising God in an exuberant manner--> I feel that I can worship God freely.

So ofcos, no two persons can have the same opinion.

I've been struggling pretty a lot on some opinions I have on sermons, and what some pastors are sharing on the pulpit. But once I acknowledge some sort of objectivity, I can see the light for the other side of the story. Hmm. At the end of the day, after seeing the other side of the story, I may still disagee with the sermon. But, at least it helps me to be less judgemental and harsh in my opinion. I think God knows our humans perceptions can be biased and warped, hence He wrote in the bible:

Matthew 7:1-6
1 "Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?

Rom 14:4
4 Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

1 Cor 4:5
Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each one's praise will come from God.

Again and again, the bible reminds us not to judge others, but to take care of our own walk with God.

Why we shd not judge others?
1. We don't have the full picture of what others are doing. We only see part of the story- and this part is tainted by our own perspectives.
2. We are to be angry but NOT sin. If we are not careful, bitterness and unforgiveness can creep in. We can be right, but our reaction toward a matter makes us wrong.

Ofcos in the end we are entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. For one, I still don't understand why christians must wear branded goods.

And smetimes I find it is a thin line being judgemental and standing up for the truth. Cos truth is truth. Although there is an absolute in God's kingdom, to us, we only have partial revelation of truth. Hence our interpretation of truth may be wrong/incomplete. But the best I can think of is, when we stand up for the truth, we don't make personal attacks on people, but we speak abt the truth perse.

E.g.
XX is so materialistic to wear branded goods.
VS
I think that money used for branded goods can be more wisely spent, as there is poverty in this world. We should consider whether we really need something before we buy it, live simple lives, and give our best to the Lord/poor. [which, after stating this, I think I myself am also not living THAT simply, and simply have not attained to that. So I am not in a position to judge anyone, other then to challenge others' viewpoint, and continuously improve in my lifestyle}

Hope this makes lotsa sense...thanks for reading this long post. :)

It is simply frustrating to meet judgemental people, who are self righteous about their opinions, and make sweeping statements about other people without first finding out more. So lets learn to love each other, as Christ loved us. And there may be unity in the Body of Christ.

4 comments:

Smaine said...

I'm glad to hear you've been able to hold more of a balanced view about matters, which I think is the key to be nonjudgmental towards others. As to your 'branded goods' question, Maybe I can reword it to you in another manner. Can a person who wear branded goods, not be materialistic at the same time? This feels like philosophy

Lois said...

hello.:)
hmm..tough question. What is the definition of materialism?
Ha..from dictionary.com
"The theory or attitude that physical well-being and worldly possessions constitute the greatest good and highest value in life."

Yes, in a way I think a person can wear branded goods and not be materialistic at the same time. Tho I think my problem with them wearing branded goods/ buying big cars/staying in bangalows is not cos I tink that is materialistic, but rather they could spend their money better. Esp if we view our eternal reward in heaven.
Personal choices/ tastes aside, the church should not teach that we deserve to live like a king, aka "blessed" life, cos God wants to prosper us with these possessions.
Sorry, have side tracked..

yeu@nn said...

Hey sis! :) Thank God for your post... I just happened to come across this post while searching for Don Moen's lyrics... and think it's very insightful, what you've shared about how two people can have very different opinions about the same thing.

Am also encouraged and inspired by your child-like spirit that I see throughout your blog... keep on having this child-like heart to love God and His people... and one day, even tho we may not meet on earth, we'll meet up there in heaven. :)

Keep running the race for Jesus to the very end and keep edifying others with your sharing!

God Bless!
YA, fellow servant of Christ

Lois said...

Heys...thanks for yr comments. ;) Din know that searching for Don Moen can bring u to my blog. That's really wonderful! Saw that u added my blog on yr blog. I think that u write really well too, but I shall read more in depth tmr or smthing! :) Really really glad to know a fellow believer. God bless and press on too! I have another blog www.journey-in-christ.blogspot.com hope these sharings bless u too!