Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A good night...

Went to meet Pastor Don today and his wife and 2 kids also came! 2 very energetic and outspoken kids. :) I'm glad for good parenting.. kids turn out confident and happy with lots of love, encouragement, and discipline (Which was what I observed from the 2 hrs we spent together).
He brought me to this 2 storey halfway house. They wanted to convert their teak business into a social enterprise! And so I am offered a job. :) Tho...there's no concrete business plan yet etc, but am seriously praying about it, and seeking God for this. I want to be fair to my boss too, who has been so kind & encouraging. And I want to give my best in the company- serving unto God, not unto men. Which is sometimes kind of difficult when my focus is so social.

When I came home, I met Z's mum at the bus stop! And I was so so glad to see her. She has always been such an encouragement to me. Her husband passed away abt 4 years ago, and it was a sudden death that affected Z so much, and today he came to the conclusion that if there was God, God had forsaken us all, or that God just didn't care. If not, how come there is so much suffering under the world? Or maybe, men are too sinful beings, and God has forsaken us all. And so it was really tough for his mum, having to cope with both the sudden death of her husband, as well as her son's departure from the christian faith.
Yet she was always so caring, and genuinely loved others. And we sat down under Z's block and started chatting. We talked abt CHC and I was glad for her objectivity. Then we talked abt relationships, and before I knew it, I started tearing again. And then we talked abt how she smtimes felt she had failed as a mother, but I told her that I would be so glad to have a mum like her. And she also started tearing. It was really good, like sitting under the block and just talking. And most of the time she was counseling/encouraging me, more than I was doing anything for her. And I was so thankful, that someone listened, and cared. :) Ofcos also the christian advice that she had for me, after her years of experience.

Well, she said that smtimes she's not so strong in her faith herself, as she questions why her husband died suddenly. And I could only say that sometimes we don't know why it happens, but to trust God. Which was really cliche. I mean if months of being together with a person I loved, and now he was gone meant so much to me, how much more would it mean when the man you loved died suddenly, after years of companionship. Then also having to cope with her 2 children who were in the teenage years. Not easy at all. But she put aside her own cares and ministered to me. Thank you. Thank you God. :) May You bless her and her family, and bring Z and G back to know You. Father...though we may not understand the things we go through, we know that God, when we go thru trials, You will give us the grace to go thru them. Thank You Lord.

5 comments:

nardo said...

hi xj, i know i may not be a good christian and that my words may have no effect on u wat so ever...

but as ur fren, and after reading ur spiritual blog, i jus wan to say this.

does it really matter wat pastor wears, wat emerge is like? is it not true that even though u may not agree with the way they do their events, it works! people get save in this events! ya i know its not a number thing but at least its a start...a seed is planted!

city harvest had come a long way and i m sure u know that better than me....

chc is a rare breed of churches this days.....as in they do as they speak!......wats the point in having all those nice sermons and stuff when it comes to the bottomline.....nothing is done!

do u remember y u end up in chc the first time? did u not feel the strong presence of God there and love there.

place ur faith in God not in Men....
yes...pastors make mistakes too.....they are human afterall....but wat they do should not really affect u much bcos u are there for God.....not for the pastor....

everyone makes mistakes....every church makes mistakes.....

u are worried bout the youth growing up to be superficial? and ur answer to that is to change church! if thats wat u are worried about....all the more u must try and prevent, remedy wat u fear most from happening!

God place u here for a reason.

regarding the buildings? i m not sure wat pastors agenda is but its up to everyone whether they wan to give, how much they wan to give....and the pastors do try and stress that there is no pressure.....and even if some do give out of pressure.....will our good God not bless those who scarifice in His namesake!

i really hope u read this comments....

ur "nominal christian" fren,
leo

Smaine said...

haha Leo why u call youself "nominal christian"

Lois said...

Hi Leo,
thanks for yr comment, and yr concern for me :). Not sure why u chose to comment here instead of my spiritual blog. :P

Actually, its quite natural for u to react and to think this way. But just like u to think abt a few things as well..

Firstly, why do u call yrself a "nominal" christian, or "not a good" christian. What is the measure for good and bad christian?
Good christian= pray 1 hr everyday, read bible everyday, cgl, attends weekly bible study, always consistent for church?

How do u measure?

Many times, we focus on the "doing", rather than the "being". But actually, being right with God will naturally lead us to doing the right things. Conversely, just because someone appears to be doing everything right doesn't mean that he has a relationship with God.

In the same way, it is difficult to measure a church. I believe that every church is imperfect, that is cos it is made up of humans who do not have perfect revelation of God. Yet, God in His graciousness, may bless a church. Just like perhaps the way He is blessing New Creation? Or if u want to think another way, u can always say there are so many ple there bcos it teaches cheap grace [this is just an e.g.]? Then maybe ple are coming to CHC cos they want to see Taufiq/it is so happening etc etc...u know, u could just argue for all that. The best conclusion is we don't know, and shdn't judge what God is doing in the hearts of these ple.

As for nothing is being done in other churches, that's not true. U will be surprised, some of them have really good sermons- expound the word and also have done a lot for the community.

Having said that, there is no perfect church. And CHC has blessed me a lot. I've grown as a christian in CHC. I am just giving myself lots of space to seek God for a church/direction, as to at this season, where He wants me to be.

Does it really matter wat pastor wears and wat emerge is like? Yes it does. Why did u take the time to write this comment to me? That's cos something is unsettled in yr heart, and as my fren, u wanted to share these with me. Likewise, it matters deeply to me what the church is preaching, and the vision it has. Both cos the church means a lot to me, and also cos God means a lot to me.

Yes like what u said, we shd put our faith in God, not in men. We shd not put our faith in a church or the pastors, but soley in Him. That is why I know that as I seek Him, He will bring me to the right place.

Just a fellow child of God. :)

nardo said...

hehe....icic
ok....may God lead u to the right place.

ps: pai say...post in the wrong blog.

Lois said...

thanks!! :P