Thursday, November 30, 2006

Looking upward and outward

I think I've always been quite emotional, and reflective...and sometimes overly reflective. Sometimes I wish I can drop everything and hang loose. But yet at times this overwhelming burden creeps up on me. And it is a fight to be joyful in times like this.
Yet, I recognise that burdens are also good. They are what God gives to us, to tell us something is not right in this world. And it leads us into taking action, to put right the things that are wrong.
Don't get me wrong. Not implying that we should use our own fleshly ways to put things right. But burdens are God's way of telling us to intercede for something, seeking Him so that He may use us to fulfill his plans!

At times I feel this "cognitive dissonance" with this world. But dwelling too much on that makes me look inward, and it kills my joy. Looking upwards changes everything. Looking outwards teaches me I am so blessed to be alive. I'm so blessed at this age of 24, with such a long future ahead. This is but one quarter of my life.

I've still got ideals, dreams, passions that I want to fulfill in this lifetime. I don't want to die yet. ;) Heh...And taking that step back to give thanks, makes me realise that I yet cannot dwell in a state of immobilisation. Of being weighed down by burdens. To be weighed down and inhibited from moving forward. ;)

It is such a fight for joy. A fight of courage. Something in Colossians encourages me, and I hope it encourages u too. That we are to be strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power. (Col 1:11) Rooted and built up in Him, and established in the faith (Col 2:7).

Today's counseling class was on Young Adults. I had the opportunity to go up and "counsel" someone. Bleah...haha..it was quite a learning experience I guess. Anyway young adulthood is so scary. I think I've fought the past one whole year of battle in transition from a youth to an adult. Very very common for young adults to ponder about career and lifestyle choices. And I've made some very major decisions for my own life. Hence, learning not to worry so much about this "cognitive dissonance" but understand that it is very much a growing process. And afterall, there is so much more to learn about life. So much things we don't know.

Hence look upward and outward, and these help us to grow inwardly.
Indeed, may we be rooted and built up in Him. Amen!

No comments: