Friday, November 10, 2006

Cross sector alliances

This week I was attending a quantitative finance course by a SMU lecturer. It is a series of about 10 lessons held for GIC staff. All he discussed looked all too familiar. T-stats, CAPM model, three factor model, Farma & French, regression etc. It was just like yesterday when I was doing my final year in NUS, sitting in the tutorial room listen to my lecturer. All too vivid, the pouring through of journals, surfing the net, coming up with propositions for thesis.

And a nudge in my heart, why didn't I do a finance thesis? Crunching numbers, regression? Be like every finance major. And then another tug. This tug that said, I wouldn't have enjoyed it. If I got to choose all over again, I would still have done my thesis topic: Cross Sector Alliances in Singapore: An exploratory study of collaborations between companies and charitable organizations. :)

For this is me...all along have been me I guess. Just thinking thru who am I really, what do I like to do?

This passion for the marginalised always been there...this desire for sustainable help for the marginalised always been there.

The word is sustainable.

Seeing companies becoming for socially responsible. I will be so glad and happy. ;0 Ha...really...

Really glad that the Habitat project has opened up doors for future. We are planning for future trips already. Opening bank account for charity projects. Feels good seeing the transformation within the company. Very encouraged by my director. Maybe next year we can go with Pastor Don to China to build a rehab centre. That will be nice.

There's a season for everything...

Been really tired the whole week. Ha...think I've said that already. Been having lots of giddy spells, and bad memory. Almost can't remember what was being said to me few minutes after. Think my brain been processing too much info. I can see the numbers floating about. Returns, profits, portfolio numbers. It just makes me feel again how long more I am going to do this.

Surely my knowledge of finance must have a use for my future work. I pray it may all come together in clarity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lois,

I'M COMPLETELY SURE THAT YOUR FINANCE KNOWLEDGE will be helpful in every social entrepreneurial stint you do in the future. This is speaking from experience, as I have my own nonprofit in NY. :) Wish i'm as lucky as you. :)

Lynn

Lois said...

Hey there! Does yr non-profit need any help? ;)
We shd chat someday? Thanks for dropping by my blog. :)