Sunday, November 05, 2006

Superficiality

Thought I will just give a quick update of what I will been up to! Monday I took leave to rest and go to the library, and I borrowed Jeffrey Sach's The End of Poverty. I was quite happy with this borrow cos I thought that I would have had to buy the book. ;) He writes in a rather interesting and engaging manner, and hopefully this will give me some head's start on poverty issues, beyond the superficial things I know.

Tues onwards I went back to work, and started having a flu. That lasted for the whole of last week, but I got better on Friday. Been a rather challenging week, cos it was the peak period for our fund raising. We have managed to raise more than 12K already. Anyway was quite stressed out again with numerous emails & phonecalls. I guess yet again, needing to have some quiet time with God so that I don't get caught up in all the doing again. Had counseling classes on Mon and Wed too, and worked late on Tues...so it was a really tiring week for me.

Stayed out late with colleagues and sec sch frens respectively on Fri and Sat nights. Came home on Fri night abt 2ish....really v rare to be home so late for 2 consecutive fri nights. We had fun singing KTV @ The One. Sat had a bbq with my rg sch mates. "Interesting" how almost all of us are working for the govt, whether directly or indirectly. I think the govt is doing a good job in recruiting.

Actually didn't really enjoy the bbq that much. Maybe I was tired. It was good ofcos catching up and seeing how others are doing. But more than that I guess I couldn't connect nor identify that much. And it was tough to connect authentically beyond the superficial, due to the class gathering being once in one/two years. I know I can't grow old like that, be an typical Singaporean who aspires to have a stable career, car, house, country club membership, and yeah, be happy.

Service was good today, on prayer. ;)
Was reminded of this verse at the end when we sought God:

8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. 9 Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.'
Isaiah 58:8-9

Went to Parkway to get my contacts, and I saw this cute toddler in his pram, and he was crying. His eyes and nose became red. But his dad reached out his hand and said, come daddy carry you. And it was such a sweet moment to see almost immediately, the brawling stopped. "Daddy" was quite a big plump guy, and toddler lying in his arms was in such a secure position. It reminded me of Daddy's love that embraces me...when I mess up and cry, I know He is there.

Been feeling rather burdened these days for people. I guess that kind of emotional tiredness and burden is even more heavy that physical sickness. Though I am reminded that I am NOT God, and it is not abt me to take matters in my own hands.

No comments: