Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Shadow of the Almighty

June came and would be gone soon. The sweltering weather that left us drenched with perspiration. I slept with the aircon on for almost the whole month.
Last week I spent 3 nights in the Village School in Kalimantan, and the weather was so hot too! But no aircon. It wasn't really the weather, but I couldn't sleep well, drifting in and out of sleep with my mind heavy.

Traveling for work has its plus and minus points. Plus- see many beautiful sights, of lovely people. And learn of ministries that have been started for years, and the hard work and prayer that have gone into it. These always make me feel so encouraged, cos I know God works in my brothers and sisters overseas, and it is only Him who can convict hearts to serve Him in such a manner. So yes, my heart is often uplifted and sings praises to Him, seeing the work amongst His people. People who are so different culturally, but so similar in that we worship the one and same almighty God.

Minus- seeing more, also means feeling more for the people. Seeing the needs can be so overwhelming. Learning about the hardships and struggles that people go through make me sad. And planning for trips and praying for people to go for trips sometimes is such an uphill task. Realise if I'm not careful, it just becomes one trip after the next, and I lose focus as to why I am doing what I am doing in the first place.

H1N1 scare. I had to be self quarantined for 3 times, now being the third. First after Philippines, second after a volunteer suspected of H1N1 (b4 I flew to Indonesia), third now! Indonesia has strangely only reported 2 cases (haha, do u believe them???), but its listed under the countries affected. So students who have been to Indonesia need to quarantine themselves for 7 days after trip. I went back to office on Fri, but boss asked me to work from home yesterday (sat) since there were lots of girls coming. I had a minor cough and was sneezy yesterday. And there was this oppressive fear in my head...what if I got the flu, what if I pass it to someone yadda yadda. Fear not bcos I am afraid abt my own health, but more so about affecting people. In the evening I got better, and I went out to watch a concert with HY, Jas and ZW. Heh...Are you going Tsk Tsk now?

I'm feeling better today, but I'm feeling SO SO SO super tired. I think its the accumulated lack of sleep. I really don't know how to rest!!! I feel so out of my element resting. I slept today until 11am, drifting in and out of sleep since 10am. And then I listened to a sermon, and then slotted my philippines photos, prayed and then cooked lunch. Facebooked a bit, and had to reply smses from volunteer, before going back to sleep again, and waking up to reply smses abt work again (sigh!). Actually rest is really not a physical thing, but emotional and spirtual. I am praying on Psalms 91, that God will protect me under the shadow of His wings.

But yes, sleep has been so good, and I'm still so tired and exhausted now actually. But in my mind, I'm thinking, am I supposed to be working on something or not...or what...or reply emails...or.....?

Heh....I salute u if u manage to finish reading this, cos this has been a lot of ranting. =) I appreciate your prayers at the end of reading this! I'm seeking God in this season...refocusing...wanting Him...loving Him.

Btw, isn't this cute? Its a pict I took with the kids from the school! =) P/S if u are interested in teaching English, whether 1 month or 1 year at the school in Kalimantan, pls let me know. They are greatly in need of English teachers. This is a christian school for the Dayaks from the villages.




No comments: