Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Greatest Social Need

I'm a strong supporter of The New Charis Missions, because I've known the founder Pastor Don Wong since my uni days, while he was still at High Point Halfway House. I enjoy the company of his wife and children, they are like my family. But most of all, some of the brothers in the halfway house are like family to me, and I feel so welcomed when I am with them. When I am with them, I feel like christianity is congruent. :) You see strong muscled men, and Hokkien "bings", who are like gentle giants. It is true that God didn't come to make us better people, He came to transform us.

---------------
Radion International is having its Project Lives! from 7-8 Feb.
Tentatively, attached are the list of items which are required :

1 ) Dry/Canned food items (Staples or meat items with at least 3 months towards expiry date)
2 ) Used clothes, blankets, jackets, towels (Washed and in good condition)
3 ) Hygiene Items (Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap)
4 ) Medical/Pharmaceutical items (first aid kits/gloves/masks/bandages)
5 ) New Stationary/Educational Materials (Drawing blocks, coloring books, coloring pencils/crayons)
6 ) Electronics/Technology Items (Solar Panels, Water filtration systems, torch lights, batteries)
7 ) Foam sleeping mattresses/bedding items
8 ) Baby clothes/Nursery Items (Feeding bottles, etc etc)

Do support the outreach!!! And let me know if you want to join forces!

-------------------------
I enjoyed this article in Christianity Today on The Greatest Social Need.

"Today, conservative Christian churches do superb work on poverty, AIDS, sex trafficking, climate change, prison abuses, malaria, and genocide in Darfur. … Today, many evangelicals are powerful internationalists and humanitarians. Other examples abound in politics, foreign policy, and international justice. It's been quite a ride on the racehorse of social action. Despite the advances, none of this constitutes our movement's greatest contribution to the world. None of these good works—nay, great works—deal with the most profound social problem facing humankind.

That social problem is alienation from God."

If you ask me why I am doing what I am doing, its not because I want to be nice. Yes, I want to see the poor getting fed, the broken hearted being healed, and oppressed being set free.

But I'm doing what I am doing because it is congruent to the gospel.

God loves people, men made in His image, each created for a purpose, and men are separated from Him. Surely that is deserving of our attention!

No comments: