Friday, May 23, 2008

Just a kind word

Took a cab home today from church after much deliberation on how much damage it will cost my wallet. ;p In the end succumbed to the tiredness of the week and oh, it is still a work day for me tmr.

On the taxi, I started chatting with the driver, and he told me about his wife having adultary, the tough time his children and him were going through, and how things were bad at his church. He told me some things his church leaders did, which made me feel really sorry for him. But then, it is only his side of the story. But anyway, I just listened to him, and at the end of the ride, I asked if I could keep his family in prayer, and he could feel free to visit my church. I thought he looked slightly touched, and I was glad to have the opportunity to listen to him.

This incident made me think of something- that sometimes, all it takes to encourage someone, is a listening ear, and a kind word. That's all someone needs. And there is so much power in a word, it can cause damage, yet it can result in much edification. :)

Yesterday, a fren sent me a sms that really encouraged me. I was so edified, and am thankful for this new found friendship whereby we can share with each other:

筱嘉,你是个简单的人,却又心思细腻,能用复杂的字眼表达你的思绪。是个善良的人,却对社会中不公平的事愤愤不平。你对生活没有要求,但在神的国镀里有着无限的理想于盼望。最后,你是个又高又黑的女孩,却不爱运动,怕晒太阳!你是个特别的女孩,我很庆幸认识你。;-)

You can feel free to agree or disagree with this sms though! But whatever it is, it really touched me. :)

These days I feel a deep sense of purposefulness at work. But yet like Joshua going into new land, there are many giants to kill. Mostly, the giants are the ones hidden inside my heart. So many fears & apprehensions. Yet God is ever present to comfort. Not sure if He sent an angel...but as I prayed 2 nights ago after a bad day, I felt really comforted by Him. And it dawned upon me something. When J and I were together, he told me that thru his love, he will show me God's unconditional love. And there I was still yearning for unconditional love, but yearning for it in the wrong places. In a relationship, the love that we give each other is merely a shadow of God's love for us, only His love is unconditional. And the Lord seemed to tell me that He can...and He will give me this unconditional love. I was glad. And happy. Even though the trials are still there, I know He loves me.

So anyway...I know He is dealing with many giants on the inside. And yup...somedays I just feel insecure and everything is like so fluid. Even in relationships and friendships, there's this insecurity that what if someone finds out who I really am, and stops loving me etc. And I think He is teaching me to be secure in Him. And to learn to love others in the way He loves me.

1 comment:

Edmond said...

I can only say 我感同深受。Sometimes, really, it is not the strong side of people that encourages, but the struggles that we share. U're really prudent, now that you are earning less, taking mrt back from from the airport and all. Jia you, know that God and other bros and sisters are walking the journey with U. One of my friend whom I'm not close to but went with me to Cambodia, the welfare head who did everything I told U about (I think I did?) remembered and asked me how was my interview. I was like so encouraged someone bothered. =)