Saturday, September 29, 2007

Where the sun rises

Come to think of it, my blog theme matches the name of the show I just watched! The name of the show is "Where the sun rises", directed by Grace Phan.
Maybe this is prophetic word for me to go to East Timor? :)

Check this show out: http://www.luxlucis.sg/

Anyway I was very blessed by the show, it is one of the most thought provoking and heart stirring shows I've ever watched. Do catch it if you have time. It will only be showing in Cathay Picture house for this saturday and sunday at 1pm and 5pm. Its a documentary movie featuring the history of East Timor and the experiences of President Gusmao. And also what lies ahead for East Timor? After its independence, the director/& Gusmao tell viewers that it is forgiveness and reconciliation whereby the country and its people can move forward.

One of the most poignant moments of the show was when President Gusmao showed us his office building. I think my house looks nicer than his office. ;) But I was deeply touched. Of a man who had been through so much for his country and people, and is not a president for the sake of power, fame or control. Oh, so unlike many of us...

I liked this part a lot. To talk about forgiveness towards someone who has killed your family. Hmm...let me see, who have I not forgiven right now, and why?

“Forgiveness, to me, means peace of mind. If we can forgive, we liberate ourselves from all bad sentiments… of revenge… of self-flagellation. If we forgive, we stop a part of our life. We say no – now I am entering a new phase of my life. If not, I live everyday the sense that I am the worst victim in the world, and we are everyday trying to understand why… and we don’t live in peace. We are always trying to be selfish – “Me…me… why not him, or them?” When we don’t forgive, we don’t free ourself from thinking only on ourselves. Forgiveness is the way to live in peace. Peace not with other people but firstly, with him- or herself.”- Xanana Gusmao

-----

Ahh...to see a world larger than oneself, to see beyond the mundanity of daily life, to rise above the stresses of life. To see....there is more to life. We need to put on coloured glasses to see the world thru' different eyes. :)

Going to Balai again this sunday for a one day & night trip. Looking forward to it. At the same time, apprehensive, afraid of the stirring in the heart for the ple, and wondering when God will wipe away every tear in their eye. Wondering why life doesn't seem so fair for them. And what use is my little drop of kindness there?

And then....I see it in a larger picture....and recognize once again.
Its meaningless to do it alone, and it only makes sense to do it with Jesus, that He is the one who brings light and real healing to the soul.

No comments: