Friday, September 14, 2007

A touch of heaven

Whoa one week passed by in a while, and I haven't been blogging here! I think I am having a writers' block. ;) Nothing much to update except I managed to have dinner for 4 days in a row at home! And then I finished reading A sense of God and a feeling of heaven by Robert Kee- A singaporean who founded Operation Hope Foundation. There are nuggets of truth inside which I really appreciated. Like these:

"Friends have to have a bond that is based on an exclusive common interest in which the more uncommon the interest, the greater the bond that binds them... What kind of 'secret' can be so strong that it binds Christians together? For me, the secret I found is the belief that we should love our neighbours as ourselves. It is obedience to the second greatest commandment given by Jesus. It is a call to love the poor."

"Spiritual experiences of joy, peace and feeling the presence of God were never felt despite weak attempts at meditation and waking up in the middle of the night to pray kneeling beside my bed until pain from my knees terminate that feeble attempt after a few minutes...after years of searching, in a dilapidated attap house on stilts in Cambodia, I experienced the presence of God."

"Over the years, I see that our lives have changed little. We were still engrossed with our health, family, career or businesses. The mothers continue to fuss over children, complaining about their children who have grown to become rebellious teenagers. The food was good, the fellowship warm, but deep inside, the still small voice asked: Is this it? Is this all there is to following Christ?"

A touch of heaven. How He lives amongst the poor, and we see God in those places.

I realise that the fear of suffering may not be as great as the fear of aloneness. Of being in a place where you can't find a kindred spirit to share your soul with. How shall the heart survive? Maybe with touches of heaven. ;)

Spoke to my boss during the week, and we decided to go on a local community service proj instead. So this year, we will be cleaning one room flats. ;) I think it is good exposure, to see the hidden parts of Singapore and redeem the forgotten.

No comments: