Friday, July 04, 2008

Joyful little things

In a course I went to at church, the facilitator asked us to think of things that made us happy when we were children. :) It took me a while to think of it. But she played this song from Snoppy called "Happiness", and I found it really nice (pardon me for lack of a better adjective ;0) . Here goes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKKjqzkGo3o&feature=related

Happiness, is finding a pencil, pizza with sausage, telling the time...
Happiness, is learning to whistle, tying your shoes for the very first time...
Happiness, is playing the drums in your own school band, and happiness is walking hand in hand.

Happiness, is two kinds of ice cream, knowing a secret, climbing a tree...
Happiness, is five different crayons, catching a firefly, setting him free...
Happiness, is being alone every now, and then, and happiness, is coming home again.

Happiness, is morning and evening, daytime and nighttime too!
For happiness, is anyone, and anything, at all, that's loved, by you!

Happiness, is having a sister, sharing a sandwich, getting along!
Happiness, is growing vegetables, playing games, singing a song!
Happiness, is singing together when day, is through, and happiness, is anyone and anything at all, that's loved bye you!

Happiness, is morning and evening, daytime and nighttime too!
And happiness, is anyone, and anything at all, that's loved by you!

--------------------

I liked the lyrics. And it made me think of little things I enjoyed as a child. Realise that in our memories, we often retain sad/unhappy memories more than happy ones. But as the song was being played, I remembered being happy as a little girl, playing 5 stones, hop skotch, barbie dolls and cooking with my sis, badminton with my parents at east coast beach etc etc. ;) I remembered a part of my life that I had chucked away somewhere.

We also talked about things that makes us happy now. ;) Wasn't hard to think, for me, it was the sea, the sky, the mountains, a book, a friend, cats....etc.

A fren named my mum's cooking for me as 爱心餐. For those whose chinese is not so good... It basically means food prepared with love. Realise that all along, I've been thinking its so restrictive that I have to come home for dinner, and if I can't come bk, I gotto tell my mum I'm not eating. But when my fren pointed out he hardly got to eat at home, I realised that it was a privilege to be able to eat my mum's cooking everyday, to have a house to go back to.

And maybe, it is just these simple things that makes us happy. Just being able to enjoy each moment, giving thanks for the little things. Those joyful little things that makes us laugh. =)
Just like that day, when the ice-cream man came to my workplace, and I ate the raspberry ice-cream in wafers (u know the one that comes in a square block?). I was so happy!

No comments: