Thursday, January 17, 2008

Mini-town

My house is located near the construction site of a condominium. Many foreign workers work at the site, I'm not sure, maybe from China, Bangladesh and India? Sometimes a few of the workers sit at the grass patch outside chatting, I saw one of them sitting on the floor and writing in his notepad yesterday. And there's usually a silent communication betw us as we don't speak to each other but glance at each other because afterall we look so different!

Anyhow I always get a peak into the construction site as I walk past, and it looks like a mini town center of its own sorts! It seems like a mini town because there is life within the construction site as the workers hussle and bustle and cook and live there. It somehow stands in isolation as people walk past. It reminds me of the days in Philippines when we went to build the houses. Cement is being made in those big barrel kinda thing on the trucks and then we queued for cement in the philippines!

The workers work long hours, sometimes when I am back at 9pm, I still see dark figures up above the incomplete buildiing. They work so hard!

I wonder if the gap of gender, culture, race, nationality between us will be bridged.

The nearest experience I had to know ple from diversed backgrounds was knowing Pastor Don's team of brothers. Some had been ex-offenders and drug addicts. But wow, it was nice relating to them, and esp over the one day trip at indonesia, we made friends. In Christ, these false divisions betw ple have to fall. In Christ, the man next to you, whether from which country or race, is a fellow brother and sister redeemed by Christ. And we relate to one another as human beings. I wonder if I am putting up a false segregation of sorts. But I wonder if we will ever step into someone else's boat and see the world from there (or can we not be bothered?). Just like Jesus, stepping into Peter's fishing boat that very day, and came not with pomp or glory, but as a human being. Maybe we are men with poor souls in rich clothings.

How amazing it will be in heaven whereby all tongues, tribes and nations shall worship our living God. :)

No comments: