Friday, October 09, 2009

Rethinking what service learning means

This morning started off on a wrong note.
On Tues, we delivered 3 boxes of jeans to school X. These jeans are donated for our beneficiaries in Cambodia, and school X is going on a service learning trip to our sites. So teacher in charged said that it was okay for the students to help us bring up the jeans.
I received a phone call today, the VP was not happy and scolded the teacher plus our partner for asking their students to carry these boxes for us. It is ironic that the students are going for a SERVICE learning trip, so where does service begin? Ofcos bringing up the boxes is a voluntary thing that they are doing to help us, and we have no right to force it upon them. I can also see it fr the point of view of the school, that they are afraid of parents complaining that their students have to carry heavy weights, or the bags of their little kids will break. But precisely because our kids are too sheltered, that they need to be exposed to situations whereby they do things at their inconvenience so as to serve others. Its perhaps time to rethink what service learning means. I thought thats the whole point of a service learning trip, which begins not just playing with the kids at Cambodia, but begins with that attitude of humility and servitude.
So yes, we had to travel again from Upper Serangoon Road to another end of Singapore, 1 hr two and fro, just to pick up the boxes. (yup we travelled that 1 hr on Tuesday too to deliver the boxes)

Anyway, this incident was neutralized by the kindness of my friend. My friend who is in the midst of looking for another job now picked me up from town, and drove me to the school, following which drove me back to the office at Upper Serangoon. I'm deeply thankful ofcos, and know that in the midst of every challenge, God provides His angelic resources to keep us going. Thank you! =)

My colleague says I should not let these episodes get the better of me. Indeed these days I'm finding it rather hard to contain my emotions. I think little things start to prick me and irritate me. Maybe I take things too personally. Maybe I am too idealistic and perfectionistic. Maybe my sense of right and wrong is too strong. Maybe I don't accept that there are grey areas in life. But why Oh why...is the world so imperfect, and why are people so incongruent?

Praying for God's grace to let go of all these things to Him.

No comments: