Thursday, July 23, 2009

The joys of Volunteerism

Just finished watching Channel U's Stars for a Cause featuring Mindee Ong. Enjoyed it a lot. Reminded me of my first volunteer trip to Yunnan to a village school and playing with the kids. Reminded me of giving tuition to quiet kids when I was in Interact Club. The joys of volunteerism- It always reminds one how vast the universe is, how diverse people are, and being able to share love and care to someone is always a blessing to the one who showers love. It makes one wonder, who can I not forgive? No issue is too big to overcome with that milk of human kindness.

Yes volunteerism....maybe I should become a volunteer again. Mingling with the kids, loving them, hugging them. Kiddos clammering all around me. ;P

And then one wonders is volunteerism afterall not altruistic but you know...a fulfilment of self. Actually when one goes into volunteerism, a big no no attitude is to think that I want to help someone, and I can make an impact. Because actually after the "fun" dies down, we are merely just sojourners of a person's life. And we leave footprints...but in humility, recognizing that there is nothing much we can do to help someone...except to extend that hand of love, and receive back the lessons that the other has to teach. No wonder whenever you hear of people going into rural areas, they say that they receive more than they give. Its true....service learning...I serve you so that I can learn from you... There is so much to learn from the simple joys of the rural people...And even amongst the city dwellers- the abandoned, aged, children, etc, maybe in their eyes, you see a reflection of yourself. And what can we do...except to love and extend that hand of love towards fellow mankind. =)

So inspired that I finished this post in 10 min, in a groggy state of mind.

No comments: