Tuesday, May 12, 2009

We can do no great things, only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

As I was preparing a presentation for some polytechnic students today, this quote by Mother Teresa came to my mind:
We can do no great things, only small things with great love

One of the reasons why I feel more rested now, is because I have started adopting this philosophy unknowingly.

When I first got into NGO work, I was upset because the vision/mission varied so far from reality. And I looked to others to give me answers, especially my bosses.
The ground is very hard. There's stress from all ends, sometimes there is a tension between meeting the needs of the employees, the beneficiaries, the trippers, the volunteers etc.

So I got pretty stressed up and upset over these things.

As time passed, I realised the limitations of everyone, and bosses don't have all the answers. Thankful that I am finally able to accept some grey areas. And yeah, I celebrated my one year anniversary in non profit work on the 2 of May! =) Clap Clap..

I wonder how many years there are to come. But I am really starting to find that I am getting paid for something I really like to do. Increasingly, as I understand things better, I am convicted that lifeskills and literacy skills matter a lot, and even though it is so hard to find resources to support the training, what we have right now is really good, and we need to continue to work on it.

Seeing things in small pieces, and looking to the vision which may be fulfilled in a few years times really help. I wish the vision can be fulfilled the next day, and all the systems/processes/syllabus/programmes/committees are all set in place. But that really takes a lot of time, effort, hardwork, and prayer to work.

Though I still meet nasty and weird people. Should try and ignore them...

I am so humbled, and am starting to pray more for each project.

And today, I got to share about our work with some psychology and community service students! Its the second time I got to interact directly with students, and not through a teacher. I enjoyed seeing their interested and inquisitve faces a lot, absorbing what I had to share. =)

-----------------------------

I'm going to Philippines on Sunday (17/5) to Sat (23/5). I got some chocs & souvenirs for the family, and a jacket and a Mighty Warrior children's bible for my kid (sponsored through world vision)! =) I felt so happy carrying the big bags of gifts home. Its such a blessing to be able to give to others! This may be the only time I get to meet my kid, Buboy in my lifetime, so yup, giving him the best. Hope that its not too extravagant.




Here's a pict of the cool jacket and bible and misc gifts. I really found the jacket super cool! But then I realise that it is for kids 1.50 m tall (12 years old), but when I got home to check, my kid was only 1.22m tall 2 years ago. I hope he can fit into it now that he is 11 years old.






----------------------------

It feels a bit strange to be not worried by something...O well. Actually the stress level is still there. But yup, thankful for lots of things and looking forward to traveling!!

1 comment:

yinkoh said...

hi xiaoxiao.
:)
i like that quote too.
it does give perspective + reduces e stress level. hehe
<3