Saturday, August 18, 2007

From rags to riches

Good morning! Waking up to sunny O' Singapore was strange! Couldn't sleep anymore after 9am, so got out and made my milo! =) There was this strange sense of purposefulness that I woke up to. But I am also awfully tired! Not sure what to put down here yet about the trip.

Meanwhile I am 2 shades darker, and my face looks like it has patches of shades. And I highlighted my hair! Aww...such frivalous things...

I am glad to be back in Singapore physically. It has been a rough trip, but also a very good trip whereby I saw God's glory and faithfulness revealed amongst men and in nature. He also edified me to continue in ministry, to bring light to the darkness. I'm thankful.

Here are a few learning points I had:

1. Humbleness
It was a humbling experience staying in tents, a sister's house in the village, going to the bushes to do business

2. God's calling & serving
Had a better sense of what this was about. It was not spiritual people evangelising everyday. But ordinary people like you and me who decide to obey they Lord. Their daily work included lots of prayer and preparation, and sometimes when seemingly they are not "doing" anything, in the spiritual realm, the battle is fought.

3. Spiritual warfare is real
Sickness, disunity, conflict etc happened as the enemy attempted to discourage us.

4. Faith and trust in God
Everyday was like living in the miraculous

5. Pray unceasingly
The importance of prayer that moves mountains! Overcoming spiritual warfare and God's answering our prayers.

6. Sovereignity of God
He is in control of everything. How He initiates relationships with unreached people and miraculously brings them to the knowledge of Him

We are familiar with the story of Cinderella going from rags to riches. But who is familiar with the story of riches to rags? And rags may be more beautiful than riches. Because rags are not rags, and riches are not riches.

Question for myself:
Am I really able to forsake all, take up the cross and follow Christ? Wealth, status, prestige and comfort too?
I struggle, and am afraid to sing that I surrender all, and all it entails. But yet the richness of surrender, of the satisfaction He brings above all.

No comments: