Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When I run, I feel His pleasure

I have been going to the gym, trying to go about twice a week. When I first signed up for the gym, I wanted to join the cardio step board and pilates classes, cos I attended the lunch time classes back in GIC. And the rates were pretty reasonable. Then I started running on the threadmill, and with much encouragement from the trainer, I improved on my distance and timings.

Running 10 min or even 2km was pretty painful at the start. But now I am running the minimum of 2km, and sometimes up to 20 min and 3km. =) The speed keeps improving, and I am actually starting to enjoy it! As I run, I pray, and I clear my thoughts. It makes me feel very happy to have this personal time. And I think running has taught me many things about perseverance. ;p

Told someone that going to the gym, makes me feel I'm in control, while rest of my life are not in control.

In control...as I see the timings improving, my legs getting thinner, and the muscles building on my arms and shoulders.

Out of control...cos I am not able to control how people treat me, the circumstances that happen, the external stressors...

------------------------------------------

But are other things really not within my control? I've been reading books on boundary setting, the need for separation and attachment with people. The books say that when we fail to set boundaries, sometimes we blame others for our pain, and we think we are victims who are not in control. On the contrary, we can learn to say no to others. I've taken some steps to say no at certain times, and even though I feel a tinge of guilt, I know that these are good steps to take. There is actually healthy withdrawal! That helps us to love others better. =)

P/S. I actually thought of this quote by Eric Liddell "When I run, I feel His pleasure", who was an olympics runner and missionary.

In a lot of ways.."running" can be applied to other gifts and inclinations that God has given to us. We feel pleasure when we do what we were gifted to do.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know! i actually feel so too. Yeah..when i run, i feel His pleasure.. i agree.
get to clear some thoughts, get to quiet our hearts and minds..

boundaries.. read abt it too..dunno if its the same book..it willl take a long long while to master that..

jiayou! :)