Monday, March 23, 2009

I could not love thee, if I loved not honour more

Just a short continuation to the previous post...
Read more of C.S. Lewis's Four Loves, and one statement caught my eye:
"I could not love thee, if I loved not honour more" by a poet.

At once, I could grasp the parallel. That I could not love (X), if I loved not God more.
Loving X, is because I loved God much more.

C.S. Lewis says that it is not exactly christian to love with a protectionistic stance.
"We shall draw nearer to God, not by trying to avoid the sufferings inherent in all loves, but by accepting them and offering them to Him, throwing away all defensive armour. If our hearts need to be broken and if He chooses this is the way in which they should break, so be it."

This is a certain sort of liberation I think. To think that it is more of the "smallness of our love for God, not the greatness of our love for the man, that constitutes the inordinancy."

It is true that someone said.....God knows all our desires. The key is not to deny those desires. It is to surrender the desires to God.

I hope I'm making sense, and that I didn't misquote C.S. Lewis in any manner. His book is too "chim", and its hard to actually express in totality the points that he brought out.

2 comments:

yeu@nn said...

wow... it's very ministering, this sharing. timely! :) tink it spoke to me =) tks for sharing, sis.

Lois said...

hey bro, glad it ministered to you =)